“Get my burger without cheese, I am on a diet”, the standard distressing statement of all those who want their tummy in.However, what they don’t realize is the fact that cheese is not just about fats.
Everyone has always had the stereotype that cheese is unhealthy, mostly because things that taste good ought not to be healthy…. But, is that true?
When you see such a wide range of options to choose from, don’t you get confused why so many different types of cheese and what makes them so different?
Variations in fat level
- The fat content of cheese is highly variable, depending on the type of cheese.
- It can range from 1% in cottage cheese to 34% or higher in cream cheese.
- Cheese fat is highly complex, containing hundreds of different fatty acids.
- It is very high in saturated fat(upto 70%), but also provides a fair amount of monounsaturated fat.
You want it but you avoid it, Should you?
- Cheese is rich in proteins and in many fatty acids, and so, those who are up for activities like muscle building, weight gaining, weight cutting cheese intake is ideal for them.
- In fact, everyone should have a good amount of cheese regularly. Obviously, before having any cheese you must know what exactly are you taking, and about its nutritional values and calorie count.
- A person in Muscle building,who requires a low or moderate amount of fat, can go for Ricotta or half-fat cheddar or Swiss cheese.
- A person on gaining requires good amount of monounsaturated fats and healthy portions of calcium and zinc cheeses like Cheddar and Parmesan are most suitable for them.
- Someone who is cutting on weight should look for low saturated fat cheese,which also has high content of minerals and proteins; Cottage cheese,Swiss cheese or processed cheese slices shall suit their diet best.
How much to eat
- The amount of cheese to be consumed highly depends upon the variety of cheese you choose to eat. The set standard for saturated fats in day calories should not increase by 10% of the total calorie consumption and Sodium consumption should be less 2300 ms to avoid any cholesterol hikes.
- Muscle building requires 2 gram of protein per kg of body weight (A person with 70 kg weight will require 140 gm of protein a day) ,One on weight gaining would requires to consume anywhere between 2600-3000 calories a day and someone who needs to lose should not exceed 1200-1600 calories a day.
Things you should know
- Acid set cheese will never melt, common example are cottage cheese, Goat cheese.
- Storing cheese in normal refrigerator is fine but keeping it in freezing temperature spoils the texture and taste of the cheese.
- Lactose Intolerant people can enjoy small portions of hard cheese like Parmesan or cheddar as the presence of lactose in cheese decreases with aging.
There are more than 2000 varieties of cheese available worldwide. Which one do you like the most? Comment to answer.
Life is beautiful; top it up with some cheese to make it heavenly.
Now don’t be afraid to grate it upon your toast or sandwich it between your patties.
So, now that you know your cheese well, dive deep and explore your healthy yet tasteful cheesy delights.
Share the word and comment below for any related queries.