Who does not like chocolate? It is something made by god himself when he was happy with the human creations. But why do we try and avoid eating it when we are on a diet ? Is it that unhealthy? Which is the most unhealthy chocolate? Are there any benefits of having chocolate? How much chocolate is okay to eat in a day? To get answers of all your questions that you have ever had from your chocolate bar all you got to do is scroll down and read it out.
Types of chocolate
Chocolate is mostly divided into three major categories based the percentage and proportion of cocoa solids and cocoa butter, other ingredients like milk and sugar also play an important role in chocolate production.
Dark chocolate is a form of chocolate which has a higher content of cocoa butter and less milk than other forms of chocolate. Dark chocolate containsantioxidants, and is relatively low in sugar. It has a reputation as a healthier alternative to other types of chocolate, such as milk chocolate. A good dark chocolate will have cocoa percentage of at least 70% and above up to 99% .
Milk chocolateis solid chocolate made with milk, in the form of milk powder, liquid milk, or condensed milk, added to other ingredients and at least 20% of cocoa solids. It is a sweeter variant of chocolate with much more calories and fat.
It is made of sugar, milk, and cocoa butter, without the cocoa solids. With the highest content of sugar , it is the most unhealthy among the chocolates.
Dark chocolate is said to be the healthiest among the other types of chocolates, these are few benefits that dark chocolate have.
The presence of antioxidants in high quantity protects the body from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals.
Dark chocolate is packed with beneficial minerals such as potassium, zinc, selenium and iron.
Dark Chocolate increases the amount of good cholesterol in your body lowering the risk of strokes and improving heart health, hence improving Overall Cholesterol Profile.
- Beneficial for brain and skin with the immense amount of minerals it provides
Over consumption effect
Diabetes and Cavities
White and Milk chocolate contains a lot of sugar, over consumption of which can lead to oral issues like cavities and long term diseases like diabetes .
Eating lots of sugar that is hollow calories will make you put on weight .
Effects of caffeine
The high amount of caffeine in dark chocolates if over consumed can effect brain functioning and be reason to insomnia.
Who should eat?
- When taken in right quantity helps in increase of good cholesterol, hence it is very beneficial for people with heart issues and cholesterol problems .
- Dark chocolate acts as a fuel in burning fat and hence reducing of what, so great for people on diet.
- Dark Chocolate is good for pregnant women due to the presence of immense amounts of minerals and antioxidants
How much should you eat?
Eating Dark chocolate is generally good for health about 30g chocolate would give you the best possible results, on the contrary milk chocolate and white chocolates are not that healthy eating them occasionally is not a problem but should not be consumed regularly.
Choose your chocolate wisely
- A rule of thumb is to choose a brand that does not have sugar listed first on the ingredients list.
- High-quality dark chocolate shouldn’t have any milk or milk solids added to it.
- If you want flavored dark chocolate, choose one that is organic. That way you can be sure the flavors are not artificial.
- If you come across dark chocolate that contains trans fat, avoid it.
- Scharffen Berger
are some good brands of dark chocolate.
They say 9 out of every 10 people like chocolate and the 10th one always lies.
So are you the chocolate lover or the liar? Now you know how a good dark chocolate can not only mesmerize your taste buds but also benefit your body so grab your bar now and Dive into the divine world of chocolates
Happy And Healthy Eating